Evidence Based Treatments
Evidence-Based Treatments (EBTs) are treatments that have been tested empirically and found to have favorable effects. Children’s Friend currently offers three Evidence Based Treatments to our clients, which are considered “Best Practices”:
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Treatment (TF-CBT)
- High Fidelity Wraparound
- The Incredible Years Parenting Series (IY)
What are EBT’s?
EBT’s are based on the age-old exercise of physicians basing practice on some kind of ‘evidence’ or theory. While that doesn’t exactly sound groundbreaking or new, there are important distinctions to be made.
Today’s EBT paradigm dictates what types of evidence is acceptable and takes it a step further to define how it should be practiced. As the years have gone by, EBT standards have become more narrowly defined. What we have today is this:
- The treatment is extensively specified in the form of a written manual. EBTs are usually targeted to specific symptoms or disorders, and specific types of clients. Training is often carefully specified, too, through certification programs.
- Since the practitioner expects to get the same results that were generated in research trials, it is important that the treatment be replicated faithfully. This is known as “fidelity”. Training clinicians to implement the model properly is one important approach to Fidelity. In addition, it is common to use a Fidelity check-list on an ongoing basis.
- Finally, many EBTs include ongoing assessment of client outcomes as an integral part of the treatment process
How EBT is applied at Children’s Friend and Family Services
Approximately 90% of our clinicians are trained in and are practicing TF-CBT at all of our outpatient locations. We provide an annual two-day training in TF-CBT each year for all new clinicians and clinical interns. Over the past 3 years, this treatment has been administered to over 350 families.
Ten of our staff has participated in an intensive three- day training to learn the IY model and we have parenting groups running at our Salem, Lynn and Gloucester sites. We currently run a total of two groups per year per site and have serviced approximately 40 parents in this group model with very positive outcomes.
In our Lynn and Lawrence Community Service Agencies where they provide High Fidelity Wraparound Services, we have trained more than 60 staff in this process and have served over 300 families within the past 2.5 years.
Speak with one of our specialists by contacting us at 978-744-7905 to learn more about our EBT treatment program!